How is the band? Dunno. Gonna watch it later.


I went to see a band this weekend. It's nothing special to do that, I know. But it was the first time in a while for me so it was a real pleasure. I loved the way the bass churned my stomach as I walked into the auditorium. I liked the way the beat made my trouser legs vibrate. I enjoyed hearing the hiss of the smoke machine and being able to turn around to see smiling faces behind me enjoying the music. I even quite liked the sweet and sickly smell of the excited teenage rocker standing next to me. It was all about the experience you see. And even the slightly rancid bodily whiff of a soap dodging music fan is a part of that. That's the point of seeing music live.
So why then, so many iphones held in the air? Why do people spend entire concerts filming the concert? Do they watch it back when they get home? Do they upload it to youtube? What's the point? It's never going to be the same. Compared to being there it'll be awful. You'll never capture the true essence of what it was like to be there. You can never beat having a ticket.


Comments

  1. So true, what is it with living through a screen? Speaking of being there - the sun is out, there's still snow on the ground - what am I doing here?
    I'm off out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. Why do parents film everything there kids do? Poor kids go through life with a lens thrust in their face. Be with your kids, not behind the camera. Same thing when having a dinner get together. Always someone that has to spend all evening clicking their camera rather than actually joining in the fun. Weirdos for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What do you call yours? #mycampervaniscalled LOVE!

Countdown to a camper van adventure